As many new business owners quickly learn, being an entrepreneur demands a great deal of time and energy. Sure, you can just slave away and dedicate all your hours to growing your business but do you really want to be that person? The person who can’t make time for himself as well as his or her personal activities and responsibilities? If you’re the kind of entrepreneur who’s “always on, always available”, it’s hard not to feel like you’re running hard but not getting ahead. The key here is to achieve work-life balance.
But how does one achieve work-life balance as an entrepreneur? Here are some tactics that should help you achieve such balance:
- Outsource what you can – drop the superhero complex and stop doing everything all by yourself. You can’t expect to handle the management of the business, bookkeeping, and still be able to take care of personal responsibilities and activities. Learn to outsource tasks so you can free your schedule.
- Learn to say no – it’s easy to get caught up in things that you don’t really want to do. Learn to say no to things that don’t relate to your career and personal life goals. While being a Yes Man is admirable, you’ll quickly run out of time for things that actually matter.
For more motivation on work-life balance, check out this video.
- Use tools that will make your life simpler – with the current state of technology, we now have access to countless tools that will boost our productivity and make life simpler. For taking notes, you can use applications like Evernote and have it synced through all of your devices. Cloud storage will also enable you to go completely paperless. Many of these tools will save you hundreds of hours per month.
- Schedule “me” time – getting so caught up tending to your business that you can’t take care of yourself is doing it wrong. If you don’t take care of yourself, there will be no business to tend to. Set aside time to exercise, meditate and do things that you enjoy.
- Pace yourself – in order to have a long, healthy, productive and happy life as an entrepreneur, you should know the value of pace. Understand that there will be times that you need to dial to 11 and there are instances where you need to throttle it down. The key here is self-awareness. Pace yourself and you will enjoy your journey to success as much as the destination.